Recent Posts

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Whoopie Pies

Lately, it seems that everywhere I look I see Whoopie Pies! At first I wondered "what the heck is a whoopie pie?". After some research, I found out that Whoopie Pies are just a creamy filling sandwiched between cake like cookies and they are becoming super trendy.So now that I knew what all the hype was about, it was time for me to make my own. The flavour combinations are endless, and I had a really hard time deciding what flavour to make when I noticed the dozen clementines in a bowl on my kitchen counter. I decided on a clementine cake with a creamy clementine buttercream filling! They turned out great!!! After the success of these, I am ready to get back into the kitchen and try out some more. What flavour should I make next?

Clementine Whoopie Pies
Makes about 18 bite size pies
For the Cake:
  • 1 cup (200 grams or 7 ounces) sugar
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
  • zest and juice from 2 clementines
  • ½ cup buttermilk
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
For the icing:
  • 1 cup (2 sticks)
  • 3 cups icing sugar
  • Juice and zest from 1 clementine
  • 1 tsp. vanilla

  1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
  2. In a small bowl sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, set aside. In a measuring cup, place juice of clementines (you should have about ¼ cup) combine with buttermilk, set aside.
  3. Using a stand or hand mixer cream together butter, sugar and zest. Mix in half of the flour mixture, followed by half of the buttermilk mixture. Repeat. Mix until thoroughly combined but don’t over mix.
  4. Using a mini ice cream scoop, scoop the batter into rounds onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
  5. Place the tray in the oven and bake until set, about 12 minutes.
  6. Remove the cakes from the oven and let cool.
  7. While cooling, prepare the icing. Beat the butter until fluffy, continue mixing while adding in the icing sugar. Mix until combined then mix in the zest, juice and vanilla. Place the icing into a piping bag.
  8. Once the cakes are cool, flip them over so the flat side is facing up. Pipe some icing onto one cake and top with another. Repeat with remaining cakes and icing. 



    0 comments:

    Post a Comment

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...